Pin me!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Don't judge a book by its cover....

Did you ever have those days when a message just follows you around???
Today started in a 7:45 am building meeting at the therapeutic day school that some of my students with severe profound disabilities go. On the way to this meeting I was on the phone with my oldest sister (I am one of 8) and we were discussing our inability to slow down. We are always so busy and in such a hurry and if we don't be careful life will pass us by. I was determined to try doing this today. During the meeting one of my friends passed me in my chair and dropped a piece of paper on the table and said "this should be our motto!" It was a quote by Albert Einstein. It read "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." I thought to myself "WOW! How have I never heard this before??" I just smiled, enjoyed the quote and went on with my day.  Then I was walking down the street back to the therapeutic day school from one of my middle schools thinking about all the things I would like to do to become a better teacher, mom and person in general. One of those things was less judging and more understanding! I though about another quote "Don't judge a book by its cover." I elaborated on the quote to myself "just open it and learn about the battles being fought within." Later that afternoon I had a conversation with someone at my work that I don't particularly interact with due to me thinking this person is a little odd. We had an in depth conversation that wouldn't normally take place. It was almost meant to take place. We discussed their spouse's battle with an autoimmune disease and J's fight with her autoimmune issues. I also learned that this person lost a son at the age of 5. I wanted to cry for them. Here I was sitting and thinking this person is socially awkward at best. There they are fighting their own battle. The whole way home I was thinking about the fact that this was a day that I was supposed to get a message and it was delivered and I was glad I slowed down enough to be open to hear it. I had been out for 2 days cause the girls were sick and I have a TON of work to do, but not once while I was talking to this person did I look at the clock. I just listened and learned the battles that they fight on a daily basis behind every interaction of their day! I had what my oldest sister would call "A Holy Spirit moment." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment