Pin me!

Friday, October 21, 2011

The Norm has strayed!!!

RANT ALERT!!!
Today I had a conversation with a good friend about the norm in the food consumption of our culture. We were discussing how we are the ones who are constantly on the defense when it comes to what we feed our children and attempt to eat ourselves. Me, less so now, due to allergies making it more understandable to people. When I say "we" I mean that she and I try to buy organic as much as possible and feed unprocessed foods that are made with real ingredients grown from the earth and put together by real people and not in a lab. It always amazes me that when discussing food or health in public I find myself apologizing often and calling myself "nuts." I do this partially because I don't want to come off holier than thou, but also because what I "spout" is in some situations considered "fringe" concepts. I find this to be mind numbingly aggravating. To me I find it so logical and clear that we live in a world created to feed and nourish us through food. Let me ask the world a question.....Can you find a box of fruit loops in the circle of life? Are pesticides created and meant for biological warfare meant to be sprayed on an antelope in the jungle just before a lion devours it? Would you add aspartame to your pooch's morning bowl of water? Would you feed your children a glass/bottle of bovine growth hormone??? I am pretty certain that the answer to all of these questions is no!!! So my confusion here, is why am I continuing to feel that my actions to attempt a clean, safe consumption of real food needs to be followed by an apology or justification? Why do I have to feel guilty for trying to eat outside of the box? The craziest part is with just a click of the search button you can see on the American Cancer Society's website, a list of known carcinogens. Some are items that we consume or use on a daily basis. Is it crazy to try to avoid these things? I think the crazy thing is that using something that we know to cause cancer is the norm!!!

Attention!!! Soap box is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment